Wednesday, August 26, 2009

My Favorite Mac & Cheese


Okay folks, I love me some macaroni and cheese! Have loved it since I was a child even though it was only cooked by my mom using the blue box with the powdered cheese that sometimes was not mixed enough and you get those little lumps of a powdered cheese ball in your bite...hmmm, that was a special treat! Sometimes there would be strips of the American cheese on top for added umph. Add some pepper to it and you have something special. What's that you say? Add pepper to anything and it is something special!! Well, that may be the case, but with my favorite mac & cheese recipe you add dry mustard....okay..and a little bit of pepper too! Intrigruied? Read on...

This recipe is from the Queen of Southern Cooking! Me...oh wait! I mean Paula Dean!! Best part about it, super easy (cooks in your slow cooker) and super delicious. My kids love this recipe! Enjoy!




Ingredients

  • 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (an 8-ounce box isn't quite 2 cups)
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stuck) butter, cut into pieces
  • 2 1/2 cups (about 10 ounces) grated sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed Cheddar cheese soup
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Directions

Boil the macaroni in a 2 quart saucepan in plenty of water until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain. In a medium saucepan, mix butter and cheese. Stir until the cheese melts. In a slow cooker, combine cheese/butter mixture and add the eggs, sour cream, soup, salt, milk, mustard and pepper and stir well. Then add drained macaroni and stir again. Set the slow cooker on low setting and cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.



1 comment:

  1. That looks so yummy. I love mac & cheese. Unfortunately, I only make Kraft, and then only on the rare occasion that I actually have milk in the house that hasn't gone out of code.

    ReplyDelete

Recent Comments

Recent Comments Widget by Blogger Widgets

Favorite Films

Favorite Films
These are some of my favorites. Enjoy

All About Eve

Sense and Sensibility

LOTR Return of the King